Pages

10 October 2008

At Least My Cough is Productive

A lot has happened since last we spoke: the weather's turned cold, the economy's made a run for the border, and I've had my heart broken no less than three separate times. I may have broken a few myself. It's been a busy month.

But I'm cutting back down to one job, so hopefully my writing will begin taking place at the piano again. Not that I have anything against napkin scribbles and singing into my voicemail at crowded bus stops, but the novelty's wearing thin.


My excuses for the past month are the usual: sick, work, out of town. In reverse order of enthusiasm. My out of town adventure was to Chicago where I visited my dear friend M. Markets, museums, and thrift stores, oh my! To top off the weekend, we rediscovered Regina Spektor in M's colorful, mid-century kitchen while making eggplant-almond enchiladas. They've got them some fancy food in the big city!

But I didn't log in to tell you about eggplant-almond enchiladas (though they were delicious). I'm writing to tell you about a very special and exciting project I've been working on with Glenn Case.

A few months ago, Glenn got some folks together and asked us to collaborate on a tribute album. I'll let Glenn explain in his own words:

Several musicians from thesixtyone have come together to pay tribute to a special guy, and a special band.

Supergrover is a very active listener on thesixtyone, and he's a very funny guy. In May of 2008, he was diagnosed with cancer. Even after the diagnosis, he has maintained a great sense of humor.

Supergrover has described For Squirrels as his "favorite band that no one has heard of." Two founding members of the band died in a car accident along with their tour manager on September 8th, 1995. They might have developed a much larger audience if tragedy hadn't struck so early in the band's career.

Every song [in this tribute] will be a cover version of a song that was originally recorded by For Squirrels.

Supergrover is an awesome dude and has been one of my biggest supporters on thesixtyone, so I was excited and honored to participate. I was assigned a song called "3" from For Squirrels' debut album Baypath Rd.

Glenn recorded the instrumental mix months ago, but due to some eighty-hour work weeks and (let's be honest here) my general love of procrastination, I didn't actually start recording vocals until last week. My recording sessions were maligned by subpar conditions (namely: four housemates, thin walls, and some seriously tenacious postnasal drip) and, as a result, my vocals on this track are all. over. the. place.

But Glenn Case? Is a champ. He saved the day with some sweet harmonies and mix-mastering mojo and the song turned out just dandy. And if you check out the second verse, you'll hear the closest thing to a belt you've ever heard from me. Thin walls be damned!



In other news, I have no other news. But stay tuned! Because I'm making clandestine plans for a Ryan Adams cover. I'm hoping to ask my housemate to supply guitars and lead vocals, though I haven't got up the nerve to ask him yet. My goal: get better at recreating existing songs, in addition to imagining new ones. Yes!

As for today, I'm working a fourteen-hour day and, by mid-morning, I've already single-handedly slaughtered an entire rain forest in the form of 3-ply facial tissue. But the leaves are changing, the sun is shining, and better health is just a cup of tea away. I can feel it.

photo courtesy saulgrayhildenbrand