Pages

17 August 2008

Back in Action (However Briefly)

Sorry that I've been M.I.A. this week-- I'm working eighty hours a week for the next month and in my limited time off, I'm going on a few dates (what?), trying to maximize time spent with friends who are moving (no!), and-- when possible-- catching up on much-needed sleep.

But!

Last night, I was out and about at the Dane 101 show at The Frequency. I was there to catch some shaky-cam action of my friend Clarity J. Unfortunately, the footage is currently locked away on mysterious little tapes in a camcorder that belongs to our friend Andrew. I hope to share it with you soon because she was fantastic.



Pony Parade - Clarity J



Clare's played in a successful indie pop duo for years, but is newly on her own as a singer-songwriter. It must be scary to be up on that stage all by yourself after sharing it for so long, but if the audience's response to her (at least one instance of "You're so cute!" yelled between songs) was any indication, she's going to do just fine.

I missed a few of the other acts due to a mid-show trip to the 'Dise for some grilled cheese sandwiches and irish cream (best combo ever), but I want to tell you about a few bands that really impressed me.

First: The Takebacks. This act wasn't even on the original line-up, but they absolutely blew me away. Based on their band name, I was expecting high-energy pop punk, but they were this, like, shoe-gazey explosion of electrifying goodness with hints of reggae sneaking in around the edges. It was super good.

Three minutes into their set, a friend leaned over to me-- unprovoked-- and whispered: "He's married," referring to the dreamboat lead singer. Dude, it's all about the music here! Although, I have to admit that I basically had a huge talent crush on the entire band. They're all pretty adorable.

Go see them when you can and pick up a CD. They were selling them last night for $5.



Inna Rut - The Takebacks



Speaking of crushes, another band I loved was Madison favorites The Shabelles. Oh, that keyboardist. So cute. Anyway, they were super fun and had the whole bar bopping along to their raunchy pop-a-licious goodness.



Nothing - The Shabelles


I was excited to see Pale Young Gentlemen as I've been a fan since their debut album (which I strongly recommend getting your hands on as it lived in my CD player for a full three months before I reluctantly took it out of circulation). That album is equal parts classical music recital and wild west saloon drinking game. It's swaggering and grandiose and it's effing beautiful. They remind me a bit of Regina Spektor in this piano-as-time-machine way. They're like a couple that's doing the tango, but the man has a rose between his lips at a certain jaunty angle that says, We're in on the joke.

Unfortunately, I was too tired to keep my eyes open after The Shabelles and will have to catch them live another time.

Keep on keepin' on, Madison music scene!

photo credit: david de young